Thursday, December 13, 2012


Gateway to Wonderland

I open my eyes to darkness
My lips part to yawn a silent scream
I swallow a bitter pill
I bathe in contempt for humanity
My soul prepares for loss 
And my  shattered heart dons armor
My enervated mind endeavors to focus
I clothe my weary constitution
And embark upon an unwanted journey
The frigid air of life cracks my face
But I soldier on, a choice I make with great tenacity.
Wading through quicksand, a brilliant light beckons
One more excruciating mile  
A willow bends to extend it's aid
And I pull myself up
The air is much lighter 
And for once, I can breathe.
The sweet smell of decay fills my senses
Twisted branches offer a bridge
And my unfamiliar curiosity compels me
Wondering if the grass is greener as I traverse my path
My thoughts are interrupted
I turn to face the luminous chasm
Warmth encapsulates me
And the constant companionship of pain departs 
I open my eyes to light
My lips part in awe
I bathe in welcomed wonder
 My soul prepares for benediction
And my heart begins to heal. 

 -by Deannalynn Arzola

No comments:

Post a Comment