Sunday, November 3, 2013

OBSERVE:
To watch, view, or note for a scientific, official, or other special purpose: to observe an eclipse
To see, watch, perceive, or notice: to observe a behavior


Observe seems to be the word of the day.

Today is November 3 and there is an amazing solar eclipse today. When reading the news of the day, I was advised to observe. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so, for me, this is not literally an option, however, I am certainly observing it's existence.
 I was recently having a conversation with my beloved house mate and friend. We were talking quite extensively, as we always do, and in one of her sentences, she used the word "observe". I immediately thought, "that is not the word I have used in that instance". It was the right word, I just would have said something like, "watch". I insisted she elaborate. 
Why the word "observe", Maggie? 
"Well, that it is what it is", she said. "When I'm observing, it's not just seeing, it's processing that information, as well". 
I thought about the different uses for the word. She is completely right. It's different than just the seeing.
That my friends, like Maggie, observe their people, is something I am familiar with. I explained to her that while hanging out with my best friend at a bar called Big Dogs, I was looking at him from across the room, sitting slouched in the booth. Notice, I said looking. I told Maggie that when I saw him looking at me, at the bar, the word that came to me, first, was "observe". We had been friends a couple months at the time and he was understanding me, in that moment, or attempting to, and that is wickedly deep.
It is so amazing to have people in your life who teach you how to really observe the things in your life. Of course, this is also an investigatory tool, used to assist in the final decision. In or out. But it works. And it's brilliant.
Observing things like holidays sort of falls into that category. The benefits of this kind of observation lie directly in the emotionality of the moment. Bringing emotion into sight is what makes the observation all that more enjoyable.
I have seen this word used before. It was almost verbatim and used in the same context as Webster's defines it above.
The lesson of the day is the difference between sight and observation.
Observe your surroundings, soak up your life, live it exponentially and appreciate every experience .
Observe... 

-by Deannalynn Arzola






  

No comments:

Post a Comment