Friday, March 7, 2014

"Out of the Mouths of Babes"

Out of the mouths of babes...
"Life is messy..." she says. I have spent the day with my friend's daughter. She is an eloquent and gifted child. She is not quite 12. We shot hoops together, today. She is exuberant and full of life and she is enthralled by love.
She asked me, today, "Who is this boy you love, Dee?".
"Danielle", I replied, "He is beautiful and damaged, but he is my boy, and I love everything about him."
In her response, she clasps he arms around herself, in a virtual hug, and tells me, "Dee, life is messy."
In the year that I have known my guy, I have been told by everyone from my daughter to my enemies and everyone in between, that I am crazy for loving him. That he is a cad, and I am a victim, just another victim. I was asked, recently if he ever victimized me. No, he has not. 
In my response to this little girl's question, I said, "He is flawed and damaged, yes, but I love him. I have had the joy of being loved, and I love him, because he is beautiful and in spite of his demons, he deserves to be loved like that. To me, he IS beauty and I love him." 
She just smiled.
And wrapped her arms around herself and said to me, "Life is messy..."
She gets it.
She is eleven years old and she gets it.
She is the only other person, other than me and him who gets it.
Out of the mouths of babes... 

-Deannalynn Arzola

No comments:

Post a Comment