Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"Thanks Derrick" A short story by Deannalynn Arzola

I guess in this world there are an infinite amount of things to be thankful for in ones life, as there are for me. I could go on for days, filling the pages with stories of all of the wonderful things I receive from the people in my life. Obviously, the things we are thankful for change throughout our journey, but somehow, along the way, we are able to find the people who seem to fill the exact thing we are grateful for at the specific time we need it. It's a little magic. Here's a short story about thankfulness...

Alexandra exited her car and ran into his arms as fast as she could.
"Oh, Derrick, god how I miss you!" Alex buried her head deeply into that place on Derrick's chest that seemed to be designed specifically for her head. He ran his fingers through her hair, stopping suddenly so as to grab a handful, pull her head back and kiss her. Life is trying, Alex thought, and this is my relief.

Alex and Derrick walked through the park, looking for a quiet place to lunch. The sun was low in the early spring sky, giving off a warm and blanketing comfort from its glow. A tall elm beckoned and the two settled in under the shade, a soft breeze just above them.

"Derrick, look at me." Derrick turned his head and gazed deeply into her eyes, as if to make sure, for both of them, that he would hang on every word.
"I wanna thank you for something. Thank you for letting me love you the way I do. Being in love you with you is my medicine and those times during the day that bring you to me, those little reminders in everything I do, those signs, they take me away from the insanity that surrounds me and they take me to a place I spend hours in my bed alone at night lost in my thoughts, memories, of you, but they do so during the day, like a daydream. Thank you for never making me feel crazy for needing to love you this way. Your understanding of my need to find that relief in you and your allowing me to express that to you with my words is sometimes all I have to distract me all during a crazy day."

Derrick took Alexandra's face in his hands and kissed her with passion and assurance.

An understanding between them, both of them agreeing, silently, to give one another what they need at this particular time in their lives. Alex thanked the gods for the circumstance that led to the meeting of their souls.

by Deannalynn Arzola

No comments:

Post a Comment