Thursday, June 12, 2014

Here's how my last day at work began...

I woke up and started my daily routine, one I have been practicing for 14 and a half months. Suddenly, one of my roommates appeared after having been gone for a couple days and enlightened me to the fact that she was moving and why. Immediately, my mind had to switch gears from my focus that had been on today being my last day. My friend was moving out and thar meant a door would be closed.
When I arrived at work, the first thing I did was sit down with my person, my mentor, my boss, my friend, who brought me doughnuts in the commencement of this day. I sat there for a while, in the comfort of his presence and attempted to wrap my head around this situation. I told him about my friend. I thought about all the things I had experienced here in Oregon over the past year and a half and that every one of those memories is tethered to these people. Most of them, the ones that played a very significant role in my life are gone, but their spirit, or essence is still there. My dear Norman knows this and he will subsequently make this the easiest work day I have had at Hotwire. 
I enter the floor, log on to my computer, and begin my last day at work. Apparently I was not cued for calls because I wasn't getting any. This gave me the opportunity to go down stairs every time one of my fiends did, smoke with them, chat for a while, hang, and snap some shots for perpetuity. I got to talk to allot of people whom I have really adored for a very long time. This was my job for the day. Not customer service.
In the middle of my day, I faced a demon. This gal that works at my job and I have always, from day one had an incredible bad energy between us. Of course it didn't help that while she was pregnant with the child of the man I have had an incredible psychic connection with, we began a journey that only ended a month ago, a year long education for me that changed my life. I am blessed for that, however, hated by her. She has every right. I own that. Never the less, I approached her and apologized. I said it was a celebration for both of us and she said she was glad it was my last day, me too I said. I wished her well and said blessed be. Just so you know, I believe sorry is a promise. When you say it, you should be promising it will never happen again. This is why I waited to tell her I was sorry. I finally realize, it will never happen again.
I got to fill out an exit interview online. So much fun. I was very honest and it felt good to vent. Later in the day, I took a few calls. Converted about 65% of those calls into sales, and then I got to have my exit interview with my boss, my friend, Norm. He tells me that Zane, a supervisor has to be present. Why, I ask. Norman's so funny, "I'm not going into a room alone with you, Dee". The interview was great...
"What would you change in our sales department, Dee?"
"More incentive, training by an actual sales person, more incentive..."
"How could I have been a better manager?"
"There is nothing you could do differently. You are the best manager I have ever worked with. Your style is phenomenal, I have learned so much from you, Norm".
"What motivated you to seek employment elsewhere?"
Without hesitation or the recollection of the plethora of fantastic reasons to want to leave, the words leave my lips, "Alan". Norm just looks at me for a very brief second and records my words in long hand.
Next step, back up to Norman's desk, where he hands me my last paychecks. With great trepidation I open them in front of him. The ambivalence exists because it has always been my understanding that the Xerox policy is once you give your notice, you lose all your incentive pay, including vacation pay. To my utter shock and surprise, this did not happen. I actually received all my bonus pay.
I hung for a while after that with my friend Chelsea, who has been my friend longer than anyone else in Oregon, whom I love for always being there for me to talk to about all the insanity. I have always been able to fully trust her.
Then Norm took me home...
And that's how my last day at work went. Best last day of work I've ever had.

To all my friends at Xerox, you have helped me to develop some of the most incredible stories of my life. I hope you know you all have a piece of my heart, and I yours.

Dee






No comments:

Post a Comment