Sunday, June 29, 2014

Independence Day

July fourth, 1776...the day The United States of America declared independence from The Kingdom of Great Britain. It was a hard fought war. And it was a war over the freedom of the people. Our ancestors had the wherewithal to board a boat for unfamiliar terra-firma, planted their flag and proceeded to grow a country in the brand new world. They believed they had earned the right for freedom from a monarchy for which they did not agree, having governed their own societies successfully for some time. They were Revolutionaries, our ancestors, and they changed history by signing one piece of paper, the Declaration of Independence.

Independence...one of my favorite words in the English language. The word, alone, is a statement, a definition. It is indicative of being the opposite of that which I despise the most; dependence. Growing up, I was a prisoner, governed by oppressive entities. I gained my independence with my own declaration on a piece of paper. My words, my freedom, my independence. In act two of my life, I was dependent on my husband. He was the antithesis of oppressive and I was certainly happy to be there, however, dependent I was, indeed. In that venue, again, independence came in the form of a decree. Poof, you're no longer married, it's official, you're free. For many years, I was terribly dependent on pain medicine. This dependence was more like a self imposed prison sentence in which my family visited me periodically. The day I gained my independence from that nightmare, there was no paper, no written words, no fan-fare, just my own personal declaration of independence. 

I remember every one of those dates, specifically, and not one of them ever fell on the fourth of July. While many people use this date in the title of their celebration, the true meaning of that day, the importance of what happened on that day, and what led up to that day gets lost, somewhat, in translation. 

We all know that consequence is associated with freedom. For me, it's pain with no medication, and trying to survive, alone, in a world meant for two. There was plenty of consequential carnage during the Revolutionary War. There is always a price to pay for freedom. In the end, it's usually worth the fight.

I believe we should honor our ancestors every time we win our own wars for independence, no matter the date. In the event we forget to do so, we shall on Independence Day. And yes, our ancestors are our heroes, but so are we, every time we win the war.

Happy Independence Day...

-by Deannalynn Arzola

"Independence Day"
-by Bruce Springsteen












No comments:

Post a Comment