Sunday, February 22, 2015

Amy sat down to her computer and stared at the blank screen for too many minutes. She was trying to string her words together carefully, as Dex was one to need the words he received to be clear, concise and most especially non-hurtful. Amy was so angry, however, and her particular vice had always been to get the words out of her or they would voraciously consume her.
"Dex", she began to type, "I am not trying to change you; in fact, who you are is who I fell in love with. But here I am, a girl with a borderline personality in love with a guy with an antisocial one, and that knowledge should make me run away from you as fast as I can, but I don't want to. I love you and I am not one to allow any disparaging entity prevent me from having the life I know I should have. I simply view the result of our personalities, our behavior, if you will, as a challenge, not a roadblock, just a hurdle, that with the proper tools and training can be cleared without too much trouble. I realize my perception of everything is vastly different than yours, darling, however, I attempt to reconcile your behavior everyday. When do you reciprocate? I'm estimating approximately twenty percent of the time. I am keenly aware; allow this letter to do the same for you. And please, by god, darling, please do not let the fact that I am so aware, or that you may be, as well, create more distance than in the lack thereof. We should know. I love you."

Amy waited, as she does, for a response, which was rather quickly forthcoming. 
"Hey. I just have a few things I'd like to clear up. You say you know me, if you do, you know that your saying I am 'crazy' is only gonna piss me off. I know you're crazy. We've talked about this before. I am not trying to hurt you. I would not try to hurt you. So there's my two things. And here's a few more...Amy, you're the smartest, most creative, loving and empathetic person I know. I know you choose to stay, and I am keenly aware of who you are, too. You're strong and tough and you have faith that we can change our damning behavior. I view you as someone who can handle all of this. And I am sorry for all that space that I tend to keep between us. Thank you for making me aware and I will work on this, and Amy, I am glad you're here, too..."


And that, ya'll, is why they call it 'creative' writing...

A short story by Deannalynn Arzola

No comments:

Post a Comment